Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

hatrack

(65,149 posts)
Fri Nov 7, 2025, 07:07 AM Nov 2025

188 Confirmed Dead So Far In 10 Regions In The Phillipines After Devastating Hit By Typhoon Kalmaegi

The death toll from a destructive typhoon in the Philippines rose to nearly 200 on Friday, days after the storm swept through vulnerable low-lying communities in the country’s center, flooding streets and prompting an urgent search-and-rescue effort. Typhoon Kalmaegi, also referred to as Typhoon Tino, has killed at least 188 people in the Philippines, according to the official Philippine News Agency, which cited government figures. On Thursday, officials had reported 114 deaths. Photos and videos showed submerged cars, toppled trees and mud-strewn streets. At least 127 people were also reported missing, the government said Thursday.

The typhoon, which initially struck the Philippines on Tuesday, has displaced more than 560,000 residents, of whom nearly 450,000 were evacuated to emergency shelters, according to the Associated Press, which cited the country’s Office of Civil Defense. More than 200,000 people were evacuated before the typhoon made landfall. Later Thursday, Vietnamese officials said the typhoon had made landfall in the country’s central area after crossing the South China Sea. According to the government’s disaster prevention unit, meteorologists recorded wind speeds of up to 82 mph and projected the storm would gradually weaken as it moved in a northwesterly direction. After lashing Vietnam, the fast-moving storm was forecast to hit Cambodia and Thailand.

Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. told reporters Thursday that the typhoon had wreaked a “calamity” upon the country, striking more than 10 of its regions. He said the declaration of a national state of emergency would “give us quicker access to some of the emergency funds” and speed up the procurement of aid, according to local media.

Among the worst struck appeared to be the province of Cebu, a tourist hot spot known for its picturesque beaches. Striking drone footage taken in the province’s Talisay city showed houses along a riverbank, flattened and covered in mud, as residents tried to recover what was left of their homes. According to the military, army rescuers were racing to locate those missing from Cebu’s low-lying communities, which were particularly vulnerable to flooding.

EDIT

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2025/11/06/philippines-typhoon-kalmaegi-death-toll-vietnam-tino/

1 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
188 Confirmed Dead So Far In 10 Regions In The Phillipines After Devastating Hit By Typhoon Kalmaegi (Original Post) hatrack Nov 2025 OP
... 2naSalit Nov 2025 #1

Kick in to the DU tip jar?

This week we're running a special pop-up mini fund drive. From Monday through Friday we're going ad-free for all registered members, and we're asking you to kick in to the DU tip jar to support the site and keep us financially healthy.

As a bonus, making a contribution will allow you to leave kudos for another DU member, and at the end of the week we'll recognize the DUers who you think make this community great.

Tell me more...

Latest Discussions»Issue Forums»Environment & Energy»188 Confirmed Dead So Far...