District of Columbia
Related: About this forumBefore you dismiss the threat posed by a group of juvenile carjackers ...
The two taken into custody were unarmed. The ones who escaped? You dont know, do you?
Mohammad Anwar, 66, was working as an Uber Eats driver near Nationals Park when a 13-year-old girl and 15-year-old girl carjacked him
By Cory Smith and NBC Washington Staff Published June 4, 2021 Updated on June 4, 2021 at 11:50 am
A 15-year-old girl will be held in a youth detention facility until she turns 21 for a D.C. carjacking with another girl that left a Virginia man dead. The girl received the maximum sentence in juvenile court Friday after pleading guilty last month to felony murder in the death of Mohammad Anwar, a Virginia man who was working as a delivery driver.
The second perpetrator, a 13-year-old girl, pleaded guilty Thursday to second-degree murder. Under the maximum sentence, she also would be released once she turns 21.
{snip}
Anwar, of Springfield, was in a gray sedan and working as an Uber Eats driver when the girls asked him for a ride near the Navy Yard Metro station, prosecutors said. Anwar had driven just a few blocks when the girls, armed with a stun gun, tried to steal his car in the 1200 block of Van Street SE. Anwar tried to gain control of the car and accelerated, hit a tree and several parked cars, and flipped the car.
Police arrived at about 4:30 p.m. and found Anwar injured on the sidewalk. Medics took him to a hospital, where he died. Cellphone video shot by a witness high above N Street shows the immediate aftermath of the crash. Anwar can be seen on the sidewalk. Two National Guard troops who were in the area pulled the two girls out of the flipped car as its wheels spun.
The girls lied to bystanders and said the car belonged to them, prosecutors said. The girls were detained on the scene.
{snip}
MichMan
(17,404 posts)October 2023
After a 13-year-old was shot and killed during a carjacking in downtown D.C., District officials spoke about what happened and who the child was.
Vernard Toney Jr. died Sunday after he was shot on D Street NW, in the Penn Quarter area, the previous night. Police say an off-duty federal security officer shot Toney after he and another young person tried to carjack him. One of the juveniles held his hand in his pocket as if he had a gun, police said, and then the officer opened fire. Toney was shot and the other person ran.
Toney had been accused in a string of previous carjackings. Two sources familiar with the investigation say Toney was arrested in May in connection with a number of armed carjackings in Southeast D.C. He was 12 at the time. It wasnt immediately clear what happened with the cases.
mahatmakanejeeves
(70,812 posts)MichMan
(17,404 posts)Nine accusations of crimes in five weeks. Perhaps if they had held him accountable before, he might still be alive.
I could not find where the Federal officer was convicted of the shooting.
mahatmakanejeeves
(70,812 posts)The one you brought up was down by Judiciary Square. The one I'm thinking about was ... give me a sec ...
Man gets 12.5 years for killing DC 13-year-old he suspected of car break-ins
Jason Lewis said he started shooting on Quincy Street NE in January 2023 because he feared for life. He killed Karon Blake, a middle schooler
By Paul Wagner, News4 Reporter, Andrea Swalec and NBC Washington Staff Published January 10, 2025 Updated on January 10, 2025 at 6:32 pm
A man who shot and killed a 13-year-old boy after he suspected him of breaking into cars in their neighborhood in Northeast D.C. in 2023 was sentenced Friday to 12-and-a-half years in prison after he was convicted last year of manslaughter and found not guilty of second-degree murder.
Jason Lewis opened fire on Karon Blake, a middle schooler, on Quincy Street NE early the morning of Jan. 7, 2023.
On video, Blake can be heard yelling, Im sorry! Im sorry! Im sorry! Im just a kid! Im 12! The 13-year-old was taken to a hospital, where he died.
Lewis was found not guilty of second-degree murder and guilty of manslaughter, two counts of assault and three counts of possession of a firearm during a crime of violence. ... Prosecutors asked for a 25-year sentence.
{snip}
Kick in to the DU tip jar?
This week we're running a special pop-up mini fund drive. From Monday through Friday we're going ad-free for all registered members, and we're asking you to kick in to the DU tip jar to support the site and keep us financially healthy.
As a bonus, making a contribution will allow you to leave kudos for another DU member, and at the end of the week we'll recognize the DUers who you think make this community great.